Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Chicks 6 weeks old!

 I received some chicken treats in the mail today...so I tested it out on the chicks.  This was their first encounter with dried meal worms and they L O V E D them. 
 Dorothy wins the favorite chick award.  She is the first one to come right up to me and is the calmest chick when handled. 
 Helen hanging out on the handle of a mower.
 This is Effie...she (maybe he?) is 3 weeks old and growing a great head of "hair".
 The chicks love when we open their pen so they can hang their heads out.
 Dorothy ventures out into the wilderness (yard).
 Chickens love apples...who knew?
 Justin's building the chickens an awesome predator proof pen.  My plan is to let them free range while I'm out in the garden/yard and have them in the pen the rest of the time.
 Harriett's dramatic pose.
 Regina's sassy pose.
 Nellie & Lillian are besties.
 Ryann's face is turning red.  I'm pretty sure his whole neck and face will turn bright red as he matures.
 Caption contest....go.

 Let's not forget about the chicken herders.  So far Pierce completely ignores the chickens.

Charlie enjoys herding chickens....I'm still a little unsure of his intentions, but I trust him for now.  He lost a little trust today when he chased a chicken into the woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment